Alabama Surplus Property Program Eligibility

Eligibility is determined on a case-by-case basis by state and federal laws and regulations. To qualify as a donee, you must be a public agency or nonprofit organization and meet all the requirements in the eligibility guidelines established by the federal government. Interested public agencies and nonprofit organizations must complete the Alabama Surplus Property Program Eligibility Application.

ADECA Surplus Property Division does not discriminate against any Alabama Surplus Property Program applicant because of age, race, religion, color, sex, handicap or disability, sexual orientation or national origin.

Once an applicant is determined eligible, your public agency or nonprofit organization becomes a donee of the program and will gain access to available surplus property. For the program to sustain its operations as a self-supporting entity, the program assesses the donee a service and handling fee (service charge) for each item that the donee acquires.


Five Categories of Eligibility

1. Public Agencies

This category includes public schools, cities, counties and various other governmental entities. Public agencies can acquire property to carry out or promote one or more public purposes for the residents of a given political area.

Public purposes include but are not limited to programs such as conservation, economic development, education, parks and recreation, public health and public safety. For example, the civil defense function of a city or county will be included under the category of public safety. This same category would equally apply to law enforcement, rescue squads and alcohol and drug abuse treatment centers.


Public Agencies
  • State Agencies
  • State Schools (Universities, Junior Colleges, Technical Schools, Colleges, etc.)
  • County Commission (Sheriff, Probate Judge, Tax Collector, EMA, etc.)
  • County Soil and Water Authority
  • Water Authorities (County/City)
  • Public Housing Authority
  • County Hospitals
  • Councils of Government
  • Public Libraries
  • Public Schools
  • Public Museums
  • City Government
Quasi-Public Agencies
  • Volunteer Fire Departments
  • Rescue Squads


2. Nonprofit Institutions

This category is defined as an educational or public health institution or organization, no part of the net earnings of which inures or may lawfully inure to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual, and which has been held to be tax-exempt under the provisions of subsection 501 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1954. Nonprofit educational and public health institutions acquiring property must use it for educational or public health purposes, including research for such purposes.

In order for a religious or faith-based organization to participate in the Surplus Property Program, the organization must meet ALL of the eligibility requirements for any nonprofit donee, but ALSO must offer a secular program of education or public health for which it may request/acquire surplus property. The education or public health program must be available to all citizens regardless of religious affiliation and must be separate in time or location from ANY religious activities conducted by the organization. Property received under the donation program cannot be used in any program other than the secular program for which it was acquired.


Nonprofit Agencies
  • Medical Institutions
  • Schools for the Mentally Disabled
  • Hospitals
  • Schools for the Physically Disabled
  • Health Centers
  • Child Care Center
  • Colleges
  • Educational TV and Radio
  • Schools
  • Museums
  • Assistance to Homeless Individuals
  • Assistance to Impoverished Individuals and Families
  • Assistance to older individual (must receive funds through Title XX federally-funded program)


3. Veterans Service Organizations

Veteran organizations are those organizations that are nationally recognized by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs under section 5902 of title 38, whose membership is substantially composed of veterans (as defined under section 101 of title 38). The term “veteran” means a person who served in the active military, naval, or air service, and who was discharged or released there from under conditions other than dishonorable.

Local chapters, districts, or other organizational entities of the organization whose membership is made up of at least 33% veterans (as many of the “recognized” organization are national organizations) by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs may be considered as such veteran organization.


Veterans Organizations
  • African American PTSD Association
  • American Ex-Prisoners of Wars, Inc.
  • American GI Forum National Veteran Outreach Program
  • American Legion
  • Armed Forces Services Corporation
  • Army and Navy Union, USA, Inc.
  • Associates of Vietnam Veteran of America
  • Blinded Veterans Association
  • Catholic War Veteran of the U.S.A., Inc.
  • Disabled American Veterans
  • Fleet Reserve Association
  • Gold Star Wives of America, Inc.
  • Italian American War Veterans of the United States, Inc.
  • Jewish War Veteran of the U.S.A.
  • Legion of Valor of the United States of America, Inc.
  • Marine Corps League
  • Military Order of the Purple Heart
  • National Amputation Foundation, Inc.
  • National Association for Black Veterans, Inc.
  • National Association of County Veterans Service Officers
  • Navy Mutual Aid Association
  • Non Commissioned Officer Association of the USA
  • Paralyzed Veterans of America
  • Polish Legion of American Veterans, USA
  • Retired Enlisted Association
  • United Spanish War Vets
  • United Spinal Association Inc.
  • Vietnam Era Veterans Association
  • Veteran of Foreign Wars US
  • Vietnam Veterans of America
  • Vets of Vietnam War and Vets Coalition


4. Service Educational Activities (SEA)

Service Educational Activities are national organizations of special interest to the armed forces which serve the educational, social, welfare and recreational needs of the armed forces. Other national organizations whose primary mission is to offer courses on instruction devoted to the military arts and sciences may also eligible to become a SEA.

National organizations must be sponsored by a military service and approved by the office of the Under Secretary of Defense.

SEA organizations may only receive DOD property; SEAs may not receive civilian agency surplus property.


  • American Red Cross
  • Armed Services (YMCA)
  • Boy Scouts of America
  • Girl Scouts of America
  • US Olympic Committee
  • Young Marines of the MLC
  • Hqrs. US Army Cadet Cmd
  • Big Brothers/Big Sisters of America
  • Dept. of Navy JROTC
  • Boys & Girls Clubs of America
  • Camp Fire Boys and Girls
  • Civilian Marksmanship Program
  • Little League Baseball, Inc.
  • Marine Corps League
  • HQ-US Marine Corps (LLPP-2)
  • US Naval Sea Cadets
  • Hqrs Air Force ROTC
  • USO World Headquarters


5. Small Businesses

Small businesses that are enrolled in the Small Business Administration’s 8A Program are the only small businesses eligible to participate in the Surplus Property Program. These businesses must be owned or controlled by one or more persons who can provide evidence of having been socially or economically deprived of the opportunity to develop and maintain a competitive position in the economy.

For more information regarding doing business with the Federal government or Small Business Certifications, contact Carol Ann House, Lead Business Opportunity Specialist at (205) 290-7340.