The Alabama Water Resources Commission (AWRC) consists of 19 voting members selected by the Governor, the Lieutenant Governor, and the Speaker of the Alabama House of Representatives.
The Alabama Water Resources Act requires that commission membership include representatives from each congressional district and each major surface water region of Alabama. In addition to the geographic representation requirements, the membership must also represent a cross section of water user groups including rural and urban public water systems, non-public (industrial, manufacturing, etc.), commercial navigation, conservation and the environment or water-based recreation interests within Alabama. Members serve six-year terms.
The Act established the commission for the following purposes:
- To advise the governor and the presiding officers of the Senate and House, as necessary or as requested, on all matters related to the waters of the state.
- To provide guidance to the ADECA director and the division chief on all matters within the commission’s scope of authority.
- To advise in the formulation of policies, plans and programs of the division in the performance of its functions and duties.
- To establish, adopt, promulgate, modify, repeal and suspend any rules or regulations authorized which may be applicable to the state (as a whole or any of its geographical parts) and to consider the adoption of any rule or regulation recommended by the division chief.
- To advise the division to implement policies, plans and programs governing the waters of the state.
- To hear and determine appeals of administrative actions of the division, including the administration of certificates of use or the issuance, modification or repeal of any order, notice of violation or citation issued.
Current Commission Members
|Mr. Roy McAuley, Chairman||Prattville|
|Ms. Eliska Morgan, Vice Chairman||Mobile|
|Mr. Thomas Adams||Newville|
|Mr. Dick Anderson||Anniston|
|Mr. Dennis Bragg||Toney|
|Mr. William "Butch" Burbage||Birmingham|
|Mr. Matt Diamond||Andalusia|
|Mr. Steve Forehand||Alexander City|
|Mr. Sam Givhan||Safford|
|Mr. Bill Henderson||Montgomery|
|Mr. Dan Hilyer||Opelika|
|Ms. Kathy Horne||Montgomery|
|Mr. Cline Jones||Athens|
|Ms. Patty Lambrecht||Wetumpka|
|Mr. J. P. Martin||Montgomery|
|Ms. Ashley McVicar||Birmingham|
|State Sen. Tim Melson||Florence|
|Ms. Debbie Roberts||Fayette|
|Mr. Phillip Saunders||Birmingham|