The Law Enforcement area of the division administers grants to help police officers, sheriff’s deputies, and state troopers better serve and protect Alabama residents.
It also serves to provide funding for improving forensic science services and prevention/treatment initiatives for inmates and troubled youth.
Some grant funding helps law enforcement agencies obtain new or updated equipment, ranging from handcuffs and bulletproof vests to vehicles. Others help provide equipment for advanced forensic investigations, and some funding helps enhance the work of multi-jurisdictional drug task forces in the state.
Programs administered include:
- Edward Byrne Memorial Justice Assistance Grant Program (Byrne JAG)
- Paul Coverdell Forensic Science Improvement Grants Program
- Residential Substance Abuse Treatment (RSAT) for State Prisoners Program
- Project Safe Neighborhoods (PSN)
- Patrick Leahy Bulletproof Vest Partnership (BVP)
- Juvenile Justice Title II Grant