Skip Navigation LinksADECA > Divisions > Surplus Property > Alabama Surplus Property Program Eligibility
Alabama Surplus Property Program Eligibility

Alabama Surplus Property Program Eligibility

Eligibility is determined on a case-by-case basis by state and federal laws and regulations. To qualify as a donee, you must be a public agency or nonprofit organization and meet all the requirements in the eligibility guidelines established by the federal government. Interested public agencies and nonprofit organizations must complete the Alabama Surplus Property Program Eligibility Application.

ADECA Surplus Property Division does not discriminate against any Alabama Surplus Property Program applicant because of age, race, religion, color, sex, handicap or disability, sexual orientation or national origin.

Once an applicant is determined eligible, your public agency or nonprofit organization becomes a donee of the program and will gain access to available surplus property. For the program to sustain its operations as a self-supporting entity, the program assesses the donee a service and handling fee (service charge) for each item that the donee acquires.

Alabama Surplus Property Program Eligibility Application

For information on the Veteran Small Business Enhancement Act, see the "News / Announcements" section on the main Surplus Property page.


Click the items below to jump to that section:
Five Categories of Eligibility
Update Certifications​
Utilization and Compliance


Eligibility to obtain surplus property through the Surplus Property Program is limited to the five major categories below:

1. Public Agencies:

This category includes public schools, cities, counties and various other governmental entities. Public agencies can acquire property to carry out or promote one or more public purposes for the residents of a given political area.

Public purposes include but are not limited to programs such as conservation, economic development, education, parks and recreation, public health and public safety. For example, the civil defense function of a city or county will be included under the category of public safety. This same category would equally apply to law enforcement, rescue squads and alcohol and drug abuse treatment centers.


Public Agencies

      • State Agencies
      • State Schools (Universities, Junior Colleges, Technical Schools, Colleges, etc.)
      • County Commission (Sheriff, Probate Judge, Tax Collector, EMA, etc.)
      • County Soil and Water Authority
      • Water Authorities (County/City)
      • Public Housing Authority
      • County Hospitals
      • Councils of Government
      • Public Libraries
      • Public Schools
      • Public Museums
      • City Government


      • Volunteer Fire Departments
      • Rescue Squads


2. Nonprofit Institutions:

This category is defined as an educational or public health institution or organization, no part of the net earnings of which inures or may lawfully inure to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual, and which has been held to be tax-exempt under the provisions of subsection 501 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1954. Nonprofit educational and public health institutions acquiring property must use it for educational or public health purposes, including research for such purposes.

In order for a religious or faith-based organization to participate in the Surplus Property Program, the organization must meet ALL of the eligibility requirements for any nonprofit donee, but ALSO must offer a secular program of education or public health for which it may request/acquire surplus property. The education or public health program must be available to all citizens regardless of religious affiliation and must be separate in time or location from ANY religious activities conducted by the organization. Property received under the donation program cannot be used in any program other than the secular program for which it was acquired.


Nonprofit Agencies

      • Medical Institutions
      • Schools for the Mentally Disabled
      • Hospitals
      • Schools for the Physically Disabled
      • Health Centers
      • Child Care Center
      • Colleges
      • Educational TV and Radio
      • Schools
      • Museums
      • Assistance to Homeless Individuals
      • Assistance to Impoverished Individuals and Families
      • Assistance to older individual (must receive funds through Title XX federally-funded program)


3. Veterans Organizations:

Veteran organizations are those organizations that are nationally recognized by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs under section 5902 of title 38, whose membership is substantially composed of veterans (as defined under section 101 of title 38). The term “veteran” means a person who served in the active military, naval, or air service, and who was discharged or released there from under conditions other than dishonorable.

Local chapters, districts, or other organizational entities of the organization whose membership is made up of at least 33% veterans (as many of the “recognized” organization are national organizations) by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs may be considered as such veteran organization.


Veterans Organizations

      • African American PTSD Association
      • American Ex-Prisoners of Wars, Inc.
      • American GI Forum National Veteran Outreach Program
      • American Legion
      • AMVETS
      • Armed Forces Services Corporation
      • Army and Navy Union, USA, Inc.
      • Associates of Vietnam Veteran of America
      • Blinded Veterans Association
      • Catholic War Veteran of the U.S.A., Inc.
      • Disabled American Veterans
      • Fleet Reserve Association
      • Gold Star Wives of America, Inc.
      • Italian American War Veterans of the United States, Inc.
      • Jewish War Veteran of the U.S.A.
      • Legion of Valor of the United States of America, Inc.
      • Marine Corps League
      • Military Order of the Purple Heart
      • National Amputation Foundation, Inc.
      • National Association for Black Veterans, Inc.
      • National Association of County Veterans Service Officers
      • Navy Mutual Aid Association
      • Non Commissioned Officer Association of the USA
      • Paralyzed Veterans of America
      • Polish Legion of American Veterans, USA
      • Retired Enlisted Association
      • United Spanish War Vets
      • United Spinal Association Inc.
      • Vietnam Era Veterans Association
      • Veteran of Foreign Wars US
      • Vietnam Veterans of America
      • Vets of Vietnam War and Vets Coalition


4. Service Educational Activities (SEA):

Service Educational Activities are national organizations of special interest to the armed forces which serve the educational, social, welfare and recreational needs of the armed forces. Other national organizations whose primary mission is to offer courses on instruction devoted to the military arts and sciences may also eligible to become a SEA.

National organizations must be sponsored by a military service and approved by the office of the Under Secretary of Defense.

SEA organizations may only receive DOD property; SEAs may not receive civilian agency surplus property.



      • American Red Cross
      • Armed Services (YMCA)
      • Boy Scouts of America
      • Girl Scouts of America
      • US Olympic Committee
      • Young Marines of the MLC
      • Hqrs. US Army Cadet Cmd
      • Big Brothers/Big Sisters of America
      • Dept. of Navy JROTC
      • Boys & Girls Clubs of America
      • Camp Fire Boys and Girls
      • Civilian Marksmanship Program
      • Little League Baseball, Inc.
      • Marine Corps League
      • HQ-US Marine Corps (LLPP-2)
      • US Naval Sea Cadets
      • Hqrs Air Force ROTC
      • USO World Headquarters


5. Small Businesses:

Small businesses that are enrolled in the Small Business Administration's 8A Program are the only small businesses eligible to participate in the Surplus Property Program. These businesses must be owned or controlled by one or more persons who can provide evidence of having been socially or economically deprived of the opportunity to develop and maintain a competitive position in the economy.

For more information regarding doing business with the Federal government or Small Business Certifications, contact Carol Ann House, Lead Business Opportunity Specialist at (205) 290-7340.



Complete the application for eligibility and provide documentary evidence of the following:

  • Status as a public agency / quasi-public agency (i.e. copy of Code of Alabama, state law or local ordinance establishing agency)
  • Proof nonprofit organization is recognized as such by the Internal Revenue Service as defined in Section 501 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1954 (i.e. IRS 501 (c) ruling letter)
  • Articles of Incorporation and official By-Laws
  • IRS W-9 (Alabama Department of Finance will only accept the IRS’s most current form which can be accessed at this link:
  • Proof of approved, accredited or licensed programs or chartered organizations
  • Evidence of funding (i.e. copy of most recent bank statement, copy of certified audit from reputable CPA firm, copy of any grant awards given)
    • Quasi-Public Agencies (volunteer fire departments and rescue squads) MUST submit a signed letter from the county commission, city council or affiliated emergency association stating what type of public funding the organization receives on an annual basis and whether the organization is part of the city/county’s public safety program.
  • Narrative detail (mission statement, synopsis of program activities and functions, hours of operation, number of staff and their qualifications, type and number of individuals served daily/weekly, etc.)
    • Museums MUST complete “Museum Access Agreement” 
    • Nonprofit Aid to the Impoverished / Aid to Homeless MUST submit a letter of certification from a public official having sufficient knowledge of the activity provided by organization; identify the specific activity/service and verify the contribution of assistance to the impoverished/homeless in the geographic area is significant.
  • Nondiscrimination Assurance (the application and update certification has that specific terminology/page)


Update Certifications

Per eligibility guidelines established by the federal government, donee records must be updated on a regular basis.

  • Public Agencies every three years
  • Quasi-Public Agencies, Nonprofit Organizations, Service Educational Activities and Veterans Organizations every year

You will be contacted by the Alabama Surplus Property Program when update certification is due.

Alabama Surplus Property Program Update Certification Form


Utilization and Compliance

The Alabama Surplus Property Program has compliance responsibilities for property donated to its donees pursuant to the Federal Property and Administrative Services Act of 1949, as amended. All property acquired by a donee, regardless of acquisition cost, MUST, by law and Federal regulations, be placed in use within a period of 1 year from receipt and continue to be used for 1 year or 18 months (depending on criteria) for which it was acquired.

For federal property with an acquisition cost of $5,000 or more, our asset management system will automatically generate e-mail notifications and utilization forms to the Authorized Representative’s electronic address on file with the Alabama Surplus Property Program.

The following is the structure for which standard utilization and compliance notifications are generated:

INITIAL UTILIZATION FORM: This is the FIRST contact with the donee by the system. It is auto-emailed 90 days after the asset was invoiced. It should be returned to the Alabama Surplus Property Program within 30 days of receipt of email notification.

INITIAL UTILIZATION FOLLOW-UP LETTER: If an initial utilization form is not returned and processed after 90 days of initial email notification, a "Follow-Up Letter" is auto-emailed to the donee.

When the initial utilization form is returned, data is entered into the system to generate either (1) restriction expiration date/continuous use notification or (2) follow-up reminder.

If the donee fails to respond to the initial and follow-up request, the program considers the donee in violation of utilization restrictions (as outlined on distribution document/invoice) and a compliance case is opened for investigation.

CONTINUOUS USE FORM: If the donee completes and returns the initial utilization form and data is entered into the system, a "Continuous Use Form" is auto-emailed 270 days after the entered "In Service Date" and then annually (if applicable – 60 month/perpetual restrictions).

When this form is returned, data is entered into the system to validate or recalculate the restriction expiration date.

CONTINOUS USE FORM FOLLOW-UP LETTER: If a continuous use form is not returned and processed after 45 days of continuous use email notification, a “Continuous Use Follow-Up” is auto-emailed to the donee.

EXPIRATION LETTER: The "Expiration Date" is automatically calculated based on the "In Service" date and compliance type chosen.  This letter goes out when the expiration date on the utilization tab says that it is due to go out.

You may return utilization forms:

  • FACSIMILE to 334-286-4051; or
  • MAIL to ADECA-Surplus Property Program, 4590 Mobile Highway, Montgomery, AL 36108


When you obtain items from ADECA's Surplus Property Division and sign your distribution document (invoice), you are agreeing to the following:

  • To use the items only in your official program (Section A. 2.)
  • To put the items to use within one year and use it for at least one year (Section B. 1.)
  • To use certain items for 18 months or longer (Section C. 2.)
  • That you would not sell, loan or trade the property or tear it down for parts without prior permission from the Surplus Property Division (Section D. 1.)
  • To pay the U.S. government if you did not use the property according to your agreement (Section D. 2.)


1. Surplus property must be used in an authorized program.

2. Personal use or non-use of surplus property is not allowed.

3. Permission must be obtained before selling, trading or dismantling surplus property.

4. Read the back of your distribution document; understand your obligation.

Click here for a PDF version of the above reminders.

Copyright © 2020 ADECA - All Rights Reserved