The Alabama Water Resources Commission consists of 19 voting members selected by the governor, the lieutenant governor, and the speaker of the House of Representatives.
The Alabama Water Resources Act requires that commission membership include representatives from each congressional district and each major surface water region of Alabama. In addition to the geographic representation requirements, the membership must also represent a cross section of water user groups including rural and urban public water systems, non-public (industrial, manufacturing, etc.), commercial navigation, conservation and the environment or water-based recreation interests within Alabama. Members serve six-year terms.
The act estabished the commission for the following purposes:
1. To advise the governor and the presiding officers of the Senate and House, as necessary or as requested, on all matters related to the waters of the state.
2. To provide guidance to the ADECA director and the division chief on all matters within the commission's scope of authority.
3. To advise in the formulation of policies, plans and programs of the division in the performance of its functions and duties.
4. To establish, adopt, promulgate, modify, repeal and suspend any rules or regulations authorized which may be applicable to the state (as a whole or any of its geographical parts) and to consider the adoption of any rule or regulation recommended by the division chief.
5. To advise the division to implement policies, plans and programs governing the waters of the state.
6. To hear and determine appeals of administrative actions of the division, including the administration of certificates of use or the issuance, modification or repeal of any order, notice of violation or citation issued.
Current Commission Members:
|Mr. Joe Howle, chairman
||Mr. Dan Hilyer
|Mr. Buddy Morgan, vice chairman
||Ms. Kathy Horne
|Mr. Thomas Adams
||Ms. Patty Lambrecht
|Mr. Dick Anderson
||Mr. Cline Jones
|Mr. Willard Bowers
||Ms. Runette (Ronnie) Mobley
|Mr. Dennis Bragg
||Ms. Eliska Morgan
|Mr. H. E. (Sonny) Cauthen, Jr.
||State Sen. Arthur Orr
|Ms. Ashley Cousins
||Mr. David Roberson
|Ms. Barbara Gibson
||Mr. Mac Underwood
Click here for a downloadable PDF of the Commission members and how to contact them.